I’m a relatively new user (eight months) of the Sympto-Thermal Method. I’ve been having continuous bleeding… I’m on cycle day 48 and I’ve had continuous bleeding since day 15. I contacted an ob/gyn about it and went into great detail w/ my temps, mucus, cervical position, etc. Basically she told me that I am most likely “ovulating erratically” and should “use another method of birth control as a backup” (not an option). She also said that breastfeeding can cause some of the signs of impending ovulation (cervix opening and softening). She said it’s not a cause for concern yet, but to wait three months and if my cycles are still mixed up, to go see a doctor.
I’m wondering how accurate her advice is…I’m really leery when someone tells me NFP “doesn’t work” in a particular situation. I’d really appreciate your input, specifically… How effective is NFP in my situation? Will I get enough “advance warning” from the mucus sign to be able to avoid pregnancy? Is it true that breastfeeding can cause the types of cervix changes listed below? Should I be concerned about the length of this bleeding? Is it just related to breastfeeding, or could it be something more serious?
Here’s my basic info:
* I’m on cycle day 48; bleeding (mostly lighter than a period, but a couple of moderate flow days) since cycle day 15.
* Days 7-17 I had more-fertile type cervical mucus. No mucus from day 17 to day 26. More-fertile mucus from days 27-32, then nothing until day 37. Day 37-46: more fertile mucus.
* Cervix was High, Soft, and Open on days 8, 40, 44 & 45
* Temps have been low (96.8-97.2) except for the following rise: Day 43: 97.2, Day 44: 97.0, Day 45: 97.6, Day 46: 97.6, Day 47: 97.0, Day 48: 97.6
* I’m 22, mother of a 12 mos. old (1st child/1st preg), 5’7″, 195 lbs (trying to lose), no unusual gyn history.
Thanks for listening. I recently lost my health insurance, so your help is greatly appreciated!